Where do I begin?
These are new requirements for international travel, effective immediately:
- Local/Country laws and policies. It is the patient's responsibility to ensure that their destination is accepting visitors and to be aware of special admission/quarantine rules at their destination as dictated by governmental authorities.
- Clinician approval (see Patient Acknowledgement form).
- Patient release to assume financial risk of scheduling travel (see Patient Acknowledgement form).
Baxter will require the completed Patient Acknowledgement form before coordinating patient travel. Current country lead times apply. Please contact HomeCare Services at 1-800-284-4060, Monday to Friday, 7 a.m.–6 p.m. for current country lead time requirements. Please retain completed forms for reference. Baxter will not be responsible for costs/fees if travel plans are canceled or delayed for any reason (including, without limitation, government-imposed travel restrictions).
Before making definite travel arrangements:
- Talk to your peritoneal dialysis (PD) healthcare team—specifically, your PD nurse—about your plans.
- Obtain your doctor’s or PD nurse’s permission to travel to your destination for a specified length of time.
- Your travel order MUST be approved by your PD healthcare team. Baxter will confirm with you that the appropriate approvals are obtained before your payment of shipping and handling fees.
After you have received approval from your Dialysis clinic to travel, and before you book and finalize your travel arrangements, contact Baxter’s Global Travel Team to understand the required lead time and other information regarding your specific travel destination.
Discuss your destination:
- The Global Travel Specialist will confirm if Baxter is able to deliver your required supplies to your intended destination. In some instances, Baxter is not able to coordinate a supply delivery due to restricted areas, security risks and/or product availability in other countries.
Provide travel dates:
- Provide our Baxter Global Travel Team with the timing of your trip, including arrival and departure dates and the destination address to ensure adequate lead time has been provided to make all the necessary shipping arrangements.
Confirm the cost:
- Baxter’s Travel Team will provide a quote for the shipping and handling costs associated with your specific travel plans. You will approve this quote before your travel order is placed and final payment is secured.*
*Before approving this quote, ensure you have finalized your travel arrangements.
Contact your destination to inform them of your pending travel plans and requirements:
- Make sure that your destination—whether it’s a hotel, cruise ship, or private residence—can receive and properly store your supplies prior to your arrival.
- Take note of any special exceptions or issues regarding storage at your destination so that you can discuss them with your Baxter Travel Team when you approve and finalize your travel order.
Considerations to keep in mind
The slight variation in products across countries might require you to participate in short training sessions with your PD nurse prior to your departure.
At some destinations, Baxter can only deliver to the local airport.*
The Baxter Travel Specialist will advise you of any additional delivery instructions and costs.
*Be sure to make your own arrangements with customs. Patients are responsible for these arrangements and all custom fees.
All shipping and handling costs are your responsibility and must be paid prior to order placement. The Baxter Travel Specialist will contact you with a quote of the shipping costs.
A Baxter Travel Specialist will contact you when ready to take payment.
Depending on your destination, electrical connections may vary. Your Baxter Travel Specialist will provide travel tips for items like transformers and power adapters.
It is recommended that you contact the U.S. consulate to confirm the procedure for customs clearance and advice on permits, duties or taxes that may be applicable to your supplies.*
*It is the patient’s responsibility to contact customs and understand the clearance, permits, duties, taxes, and brokerage fees, as well as the hours of operation to obtain your supplies.
In some instances, we will be unable to meet your international travel needs. You will always be notified if restrictions apply.
Please note that we are not able to deliver to all countries. Also note that some countries use different products than what is used in the U.S. You can contact the Global Travel Club team to inquire at 1-800-284-4060.
What will it cost?
Depending on the destination and the services required, certain fees may apply. Fees vary by destination and may include shipping and handling costs. Some airport-only delivery destinations require customs fees as well.
Note that Baxter will confirm that your travel order is approved by your PD healthcare team before your payment of shipping and handling fees.
Standard handling fee
$100 handling fee per travel order
The shipping fee varies by country. The shipping fee will be determined by the travel destination and communicated to the customer prior to the order and payment process.
Expedited handling fee
Travel order requests with less than required lead time will be reviewed for approval, and an expedited handling fee will apply if the order request is approved.
Important travel information
Lead time requirements
Most countries require a minimum 60-day lead time to request a travel order, while some countries require a greater lead time. Please contact the Global Travel Club team to inquire on the specific lead time required for your travel destination.
Voltage and transformer requirements
Patients traveling with the cycler outside of the United States will need to determine the voltage of the destination country’s power service.
PLEASE NOTE: If the appropriate transformer is not used where required, the cycler will malfunction and a swap will be required once the patient returns home. Baxter U.S. cannot export a cycler for a patient.
What if my travel plans change?
Contact Baxter’s Global Travel Club Team as soon as possible if your travel plans change and you need to modify, extend, or cancel your trip.
The Baxter Global Travel Club Team will determine if your order has shipped. If it has not shipped and you must cancel your trip, your shipping charges will be refunded, less a 15% processing fee. If your order has shipped, your shipping charges will not be refunded. In either case, handling fees are not refundable.
If your trip is changed for any reason, the Baxter Global Travel Club Team will verify whether your order has shipped. An additional handling fee may be assessed to process a new travel order (new destination). Expedited handling charges and shipping may apply.
Please allow 60 days to receive reimbursement.
Other pages you be interested in!
A digital kit specifically designed to help answer your questions and provide helpful resources to empower you throughout your PD journey.
This is your personal PD management tool. Manage your PD supplies, delivery schedules, and much more.